iPhone Tricks > News
Posted in News by Patricia on January 18, 2023
Apple has rolled out iOS 16.3 RC build number 20D47 for Developers. Public Beta will be available soon for iPhone 8 and later! Take a look at the new features, bugs fixed, known issues and more!
iOS 16.3 RC Issues
Problems reported in this Release Candidate version and available workarounds are updated here:
- To be updated! (Contribute in the comments.)
iOS 16.3 Features
According to Apple’s release notes, the following changes and improvements are available:
- New Unity wallpaper that honors Black history and culture in time for the Black History Month.
- Security Keys for Apple ID allow users to increase the security of accounts by using a physical security key, as part of the twofactor authentication sign in process on new devices.
- Support for HomePod 2 (new hardware unveiled today by Apple).
- Emergency SOS calls now require the user to hold Side button + Volume Up/Down button before releasing to prevent inadvertent emergency calls.
Other enhancements that we tracked in the previous beta versions are:
- 1. Physical Security Keys for Apple ID are now supported in Settings -> Apple ID -> Password & Security -> Add Security Keys.
- 2. How to handoff music to HomePod splash screen.
- 3. Emergency SOS settings screen has improved text. Call with Hold and Release, Call with 5 Button Presses and more wording changes noticeable in the screenshot comparison below.
- 4. Widget section background blur is back in this beta. Reported by idol_of_roses.
- 5. Thermostat On/Off toggle has an icon as reported by tripple-g.
- 6. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments!)
iOS 16.3 Bugs Fixed
The release notes also mentions a series of problems that have been addressed:
- 1. Freeform bug that prevents drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or your finger from appearing on shared boards has been fixed!
- 2. Black Lock Screen wallpaper bug has been addressed! We’ve covered this problem here!
- 3. Horizontal lines on iPhone 14 Pro Max with LG display has been fixed! We’ve covered this issue here.
- 4. Home Lock Screen widget doesn’t display the accurate Home app status, has been solved.
- 5. Siri not responding properly to music requests has been fixed.
- 6. Siri requests in CarPlay not working properly has been also taken care of.
Besides the above fixes, Apple might have covered other problems without mentioning them in the update log. Below you havea list with bugs that have been reported in the previous beta. Help us determine if the problems are still present in this Release Candidate version:
- 1. Apple Music background is black and not matching album artwork. Reported by T-Nan. [Status: ]
Fix: Reboot iPhone.
- 2. Turn Off Private Relay can’t be cancelled anymore, only options to Turn Off Until Tomorrow or disable completely. [Status: ]
Fix: Unclear if this is a bug or intended functionality.
- 3. Magic keyboard cover won’t type on iPad. Reported by 0xd00d. [Status: ]
- 4. iPhone getting hot while watching videos in PiP mode. An older iOS 16 bug that’s not fixed.
- 5. Apple Music Sing stops working instantly after you turn it On. Reported by Nolan.
- 6. AirTags not showing in Find My and playing a sound won’t work for Isaac.
Fix: Reboot iPhone.
- 7. Time zones not working for this Reddit user since Beta 1.
Fix: We’ve covered this issue in earlier iOS 16 versions. More details here.
- 8. Weather app keeps loading forever has been reported by ADub81936.
Fix: This is an older iOS 16 bug covered here.
- 9. Ads displaying in Portrait mode instead of Landscape mode for this Reddit user.
Fact: Apple hasn’t published any Developer release notes for iOS 16.3. You can look for them here.
iOS 16.3 RC Download
This update is available, over-the-air in Settings -> General -> Software Update on iPhone 8 or later models that have the iOS 16 Beta Profile installed.
Soon: This version will be available soon to Public Beta testers! To get it you have to enroll with the Apple Beta Software Program platform.
Tip: Never installed an iOS beta on your device? Here is a step-by-step guide!
Have you downloaded 16.3 RC or iPadOS 16.3 RC on your device? Help us cover all changes and improvements! Don’t hesitate to mention bug fixes or new problems detected! Use the comments!
Related: Apple has also released iPadOS 16.3 RC (20D47), macOS Ventura 13.2 RC (22D49), watchOS 9.3 (20S648), tvOS 16.3 RC (20K650) and HomePod 16.3 RC.