iPhone Tricks > Bug Fixes
Posted in Bug Fixes by Vlad on July 13, 2023
Experiencing excessive battery drain after iOS 16.5.1 update? iPhone losing a significant amount of battery percentage when idle and over night? Feels warm to touch although you haven’t used it? Having similar problems with iPad?
iOS 16.5.1 Battery Drain Issue
This problem has been reported by Stefan:
“Battery drain on my 14 Pro after the 16.5.1 update.”
We couldn’t replicate this bug but have found numerous other confirmations on Reddit. The most recent one:
“It’s been a few weeks (since iOS 16.5.1 update) and my Pphone 14 pro that used to have such a good battery can’t even hold 4-5h of screen on time. I often have to take the phone off its case because it is so unbelievably hot.”
iOS 16.5.1 Battery Drain Fix
We’ve thoroughly researched this issue and can recommend you the following troubleshooting options:
1. Cycle Optimized Battery Charging Setting
- 1. Go for Settings -> Battery -> Battery Health & Charging.
- 2. Turn Off Optimized Battery Charging.
- 3. Reboot iPhone. (You can use the force restart combo).
- 4. Re-enable Optimized Battery Charging.
- 5. Charge iPhone until it reaches 100%.
Credits: Thanks prettywittymaybe for sharing this fix.
2. Erase iPhone And Restore From Backup
Another way to fix battery draining fast after iOS 16.5.1 update requires you to backup your device and erase it:
- 1. Connect iPhone to Mac or Windows computer using Lightning to USB-C cable.
- 2. Use Finder or iTunes to perform a full encrypted backup of your device.
- 3. On computer, go for Restore iPhone. Click Restore and Next to confirm.
- 4. Be patient until computer downloads the most recent software update, prepares iPhone to restore (the Apple logo is displayed on iPhone), restores the software! iPhone reboots when the process ends.
- 5. Use the recently saved back to Restore from this backup.
Tip: A detailed step-by-step tutorial is available here.
Credits: Thanks theking_z for confirming this fix.
3. Update To iOS 16.6 Beta
iPhone and iPad users have confirmed that the iOS 16.5.1 battery drain issue has been addressed in the upcoming version that is currently being beta tested:
- 1. Go for Settings -> General -> Software Update -> Beta Updates.
- 2. Select iOS 16 Public Beta.
- 3. iOS 16.6 Public Beta 5 will show up on your screen. Tap Download and Install and follow the on screen prompts.
Tip: Because your dealing with a test version, be aware that you might be stumbling across other smaller bugs. Apple recommends a full backup before the update. More details here.
Fact: You can also update to iOS 17 Beta. However, this will be a less stable version as iOS 17 test versions are still in the early stages!
Have you managed to fix iOS 16.5.1 battery drain issue? Do you have a better solution or other problems to report? Share your feedback in the comments!
Related: For more iOS 16.5.1 issues and available workarounds please check our detailed review.