iPhone Tricks > News
Posted in News by Patricia on July 10, 2023
iOS 16.5.1 a Security Response has been released by Apple for all iPhones that are updated to 16.5.1! It’s a minuscule update, 2.7 MB, that brings security improvements without requiring a complete software update!
iOS Security Response 16.5.1 a
To install this rapid security update on your iPhone or iPad proceed as follows:
- 1. Open Settings and go for General -> Software Update.
- 2. iOS Security Response 16.5.1 (a) should show up.
- 3. Tap Download and Install.
- 4. Enter device passcode and be patient until the security fix is requested, downloaded and prepared.
- 5. Restart Now, Not Now and Details show up in a prompt once the security update is ready to be installed.
Tip: to switch between manual / automatic Security Response Updates go for Settings -> General -> Software Update -> Automatic Updates and toggle the Security Responses & System Files option On or Off!
iOS 16.5.1a Security Fix
According to Apple, there is a single WebKit fix included in this security update that patches a vulnerability that allowed “Processing web content may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.”
The issue has been fixed with ‘improved checks’!
More: details are available in the security content document of iOS 16.5.1a!
iOS 16.5.1a Issues
Problems reported after implementing this quick response update are tracked here:
- 1. iOS 16.5.1 a not available in Software Update screen!
Fact: This update is not available for devices already updated to iOS 17 beta!
- 2. iOS 16.5.1a stuck on preparing Security Response update status?
Tip: Be patient. Restart Now prompt should show up soon!
- 3. To be updated! Contribute in the comments!
FAQ: about iOS Security Response updates can be found here.
Have you installed iOS 16.5.1a or iPadOS 16.5.1a? Do you encounter any problems or have any questions? Use the comments section!
Related: Apple has also issued iPadOS 16.5.1a, macOS 13.4.1a a Rapid Security Response updates for iPad and Macs running the latest public OS versions!