iPhone Tricks > News
Posted in News by Patricia on October 11, 2023
iOS 16.7.1 build number 20H30 has been released for iPhone 8 and later as well as all compatible iPad Models! It’s a security fixing update for users that haven’t updated to iOS 17.0.3 because of hardware limitations or stability issues!
iOS 16.7.1 Issues
Bugs and problems reported by early adopters are tracked here:
- 1. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments.)
iOS 16.7.1 Features
Don’t expect any new features in this version. Apple will continue to provide security support for iOS 16, but the new features will be reserved for iOS 17.x updates.
Fact: The last enhancements introduced in iOS 16.x have been implemented in the previous 16.7 update. You can review them here.
iOS 16.7.1 Security Fixes
There are two patched vulnerabilities mentioned in the security support document:
- Kernel: “A local attacker could have been able to elevate their privileges. This has been fixed with improved checks.”
- WebRTC: “A buffer overflow might result in arbitrary code execution. It has been patched by update to libvpx 1.13.1.”
Fact: These are the security fixes implemented by Apple in iOS 17.0.3.
iOS 16.7.1 Bug Fixes
Apple doesn’t mention any bug fixes in the update log.
Any addressed issues noticed by users are listed here:
- 1. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments!)
iOS 16.7.1 Download
As usual, this update is available over-the-air:
- 1. Open Settings -> General -> Software Update on an iPhone 8 or later.
- 2. iOS 16.7.1 / iPadOS 16.7.1 should show up on the Software Update screen.
- 3. Tap Download and Install.
- 4. Agree with ToS, input Passcode and be patient until the new software is requested, downloaded, prepared, verified and installed on your device!
Have you installed iOS 16.7.1 / iPadOS 16.7.1 on iPhone or iPad? Do you notice any bug fixes or improvements? What about new issues? Share your feedback in the comments!
Related: Apple has also rolled out iPadOS 17.0.1 for iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 3rd gen. and later, iPad 5th gen. and later and iPad mini 5th gen. and later.