iPhone Tricks > News
Posted in News by Patricia on October 4, 2023
iOS 17.0.3 build number 21A360 is now available for the iPhone XS and later models. It’s a bug fixing update that focuses on the iPhone overheating issue. It also includes security patches! Check out the known issues as well as new ones reported by users!
iOS 17.0.3 Issues
Problems reported by early adopters as well as available workarounds are highlighted here:
- 1. Custom text tones still not showing under Sound & Haptics.
Fact: This will be fixed in iOS 17.1. It has already been addressed in Beta 2.
- 2. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments.)
iOS 17.0.3 Bugs Fixed
Although the terms ‘bug fixes’ is used in the update log, there is a single fix mentioned:
- 1. iPhone overheating issue has been addressed according to Apple.
Fact: This is an important day-one iPhone 15 Pro issue and Apple claims to have fixed it without throttling the A17 chip. Let’s see if this is confirmed by benchmark tests.
- 2. Synced content bug has been fixed according to nooneinpar7.
- 3. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments!)
Other bug fixes reported by users are tracked here.
Fact: A detailed list of issues reported in iOS 17.0.2 is available here.
iOS 17.0.3 Security Fixes
Two security vulnerabilities have been addressed by this update according to the support document:
- A Kernel vulnerability that may allow a local attacker ‘to elevate their privileges’ has been dealt with improved checks.
- A WebRTC issue that might cause arbitrary code execution during a buffer overflow has been solved by updating to libvpx 1.13.1.
iOS 17.0.3 Features
Apple doesn’t mention any new features as this appears to be a bug and security focused update! Nevertheless, any changes spotted by users are mentioned here:
- 1. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments.)
iOS 17.0.3 Download
This update is available over-the-air and/or over-wire (with the help of a computer and Finder (on Mac) or iTunes (on Windows):
- 1. Open Settings -> General -> Software Update on an iPhone XS or later.
- 2. iOS 17.0.3 should show up on the Software Update screen.
- 3. Tap Update Now!
- 4. Agree with ToS, input Passcode and be patient until the new software is requested, downloaded, prepared, verified and installed on your device!
Have you installed iOS 17.0.3 on iPhone? Do you experience any new features? Share your feedback in the comments and we’ll assist you as soon as possible.
Related: Apple has also released iPadOS 17.0.3!