iPhone Tricks > News
Posted in News by Mary on August 8, 2023
New contact not showing in WhatsApp on iPhone? Just added a new entry in the Phone app, but it’s not available in WhatsApp? Trying to start a new chat but the recently added contact is not listed when you search for it?
New Contact Not Showing Up In WhatsApp?
This unexpected behavior has been reported by Cora22:
“New contact doesn’t show up in whatsapp after adding on iphone, although I’m sure that he is on wapp!”
We could replicate this situation which seems to be caused by the fact that WhatsApp doesn’t instantly refresh the contacts database while the app is in use.
How To Fix New Contact Not Showing In WhatsApp
To make a contact show up as soon as you’ve added it in the Phone app on your iPhone proceed as follows:
- 1. Force close WhatsApp from the App Switcher. Swipe-up from the bottom of the screen and dismiss the WhatsApp card to quit the app.
- 2. Return to the Home Screen and reopen WhatsApp
- 3. Tap New Chat (top-right corner of the screen).
- 4. Search for contact name! It should show up in the list.
Tip: This will allow WhatsApp to refresh (resync) your iPhone contacts and your new entry will become available.
Fact: If you see the Invite label next to the contact’s name it means that the phone number isn’t associated with a WhatsApp account.
Often, people use two or more phone numbers especially while traveling. If your contact insists that he/she is on WhatsApp, ask if they use another phone number. If they do, save that number in the contact card too and try again!
Is the above fix for the new contact not showing up in WhatsApp issue working for you too? Do you have a better solution or a similar problem to report? Share your feedback in the comments!
Related: Other WhatsApp related tips that you might be interested in are:
– Edit WhatsApp messages after sending!
– Lock WhatsApp chats with Face ID or other available authentication methods.