iPhone Tricks > News
Posted in News by Miika on June 7, 2022
Apple has also released the first tvOS 16 Beta (20J5299n) for Developers, although the upcoming new software for the Apple TV hasn’t been previewed during the WWDC 2022 keynote. You can install it right now on any compatible Apple TV!
tvOS 16 Supported Devices
Unlike iOS 16 and the other software updates, tvOS 16 supports all devices that have been compatible with tvOS 15. This means that the following models are compatible:
- Apple TV 4K (2nd gen.)
- Apple TV 4K
- Apple TV HD
tvOS 16 Beta Download
Important: We don’t recommend installing tvOS 16 Developer Beta on your main Apple TV. Early test versions come with lots of bugs and performance issues. A more stable, public version will be released in July.
However, if you want to try it out now, proceed as follows:
- 1. Open Safari (on Mac or iPhone) and navigate to the Apple Developer Center website.Sign-in or sign up with your Apple ID.
- 2. Browse for the tvOS beta section and Enroll your Apple TV!
- 3. Next, open the Settings app on your Apple TV and select System -> Software Update.
- 4. Enable Get Public Beta Updates. Restart your Apple TV and the tvOS 16 Beta becomes available in system settings.
- 5. Go for System -> Software Update -> Update Software -> Download and Install.
tvOS 16 Beta Release Notes
The update log mentions new features for developers as well as know issues and suggested workarounds.
- Siri might not be able to find and play music on Apple TV that’s not in your Apple Music library. (Workaround: Add a song to your music library before playing it, or search for the track in the Apple Music app.)
- To be updated.
More: for the full release notes please read this article published by Apple in the Developer section.
tvOS 16 Beta Bugs
Any other problems reported by our readers are shared here:
tvOS 16 Beta Features
- Improves cross-device connectivity between iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch.
- Separate Credentials – enhance multi-user support!
- Continuity feature for FaceTime and Camera (? Not confirmed yet)
- SharePlay integration or third-party apps.
- Redesigned Home accessory controls.
- More Bluetooth and USB Game controller supported by the framework on macOS 13, iOS 16 and tvOS 16.
- To be updated!
Have you updated Apple TV to tvOS 16 Developer Beta? What’s your feedback? Share any new features and bugs that we haven’t mentioned yet in this article. Use the comments!
Related: Apple has also rolled out iOS 16 Beta (20A5283p), iPadOS 16 beta (20A5283p), macOS 13 beta (22A5266r) and watchOS 9 Beta (20R5287q).