iPhone Tricks > News
Posted in News by Mike on July 5, 2023
Experiencing watchOS 9.5.2 battery drain issues right after updating Apple Watch? Battery life is significantly worse? Down to only a few hours. Wrist-worn gadget doesn’t last a full day anymore? You’re not the only one!
watchOS 9.5.2 Battery Drain Complaints
This issue has been reported by several users including:
- Stefan: “My battery is draining after the 9.5.2 update. This was not the case when it was 9.5.1.”
- Patricia: “My battery is draining fast in the afternoon with 9.5.2, I have an ultra, my family (series 5 and 7) are experiencing the same issues. The 5 and 7 don’t even hold a day anymore. This was not the case with 9.5.1.”
We couldn’t replicate this problem but have found similar complaints on Apple’s discussion forums:
“Battery drain on apple Watch 7 after 9.5.2 update. Battery lasted less than 4-5 hrs.”
How To Fix watchOS 9.5.2 Battery Drain
If you experience this issue try the following troubleshooting options:
1. Be Patient
First of all, you should know that it’s normal for your Apple Watch to experience excessive battery drain right after the update, because it might be reindexing various data.
If the problem persists after one or two charging cycles, then indeed you should start worrying and apply the fixes available below.
2. Reboot Devices
Restarting both iPhone and Apple Watch has proved to be a working fix for battery draining issues. Some processes might be stuck on one or both devices and thus cause the increased power drain.
Use the force restart combo for iPhone and for Apple Watch to quickly reboot your devices!
3. Unpair and Repair Apple Watch
If rebooting won’t help, you should fully disconnect your watch from iPhone and reconnect it to make sure that all the communication is rebuilt from scratch:
- 1. Open Watch app on iPhone and open the My Watch tab.
- 2. Tap on All Watches, in the top-left corner of the screen.
- 3. Tap the ‘i’ icon next to your watch’s name.
- 4. Select Unpair Apple Watch
Fact: A backup of your watch will be automatically created and saved on iPhone.
- 5. Reboot iPhone.
- 6. Re-pair Apple Watch following the on-screen prompts!
Have you managed to fix watchOS 9.5.2 battery drain problem? Do you have a better solution or another problem to report? Share your feedback in the comments.
Related: For more watchOS 9.5.2 issues and available workarounds check our extended review.