iPhone Tricks > News
Posted in News by Mike on December 28, 2022
WhatsApp backup not working after iOS 16.2 update? It’s stuck on Preparing…? You’re unable to back up Chats to iCloud? The spinning wheel goes on forever and the Backing Up status never changes?
WhatsApp Backup Not Working iOS 16?
This issue has been reported by Fatima:
“After installing iOS 16.2 on Iphone 13 WhatsApp backup stopped working.”
We can replicate the problem and have found similar complaints on Apple’s Discussion forums:
“I can’t backup WhatsApp to my iCloud !”
“My WhatsApp app is not backing up for close to a month. It’s version is uptodate. I’m on iOS 16.1.2.”
How To Fix WhatsApp Backup Stuck On Preparing
Apparently, this is a WhatsApp issue that has to be fixed server-side or via an app update that should become available in the App Store.
Users have reported the same glitch on iPhones running iOS 14.8 and other older versions.
The WhatsApp stuck preparing issue isn’t iOS 16 exclusive and here is what you can do to fix it:
1. Offload WhatsApp
First, you should try to reinstall the app. This will ensure that you get the most recent version and can also clear any glitches that could prevent the backup from succeeding.
Tip: We recommend you to use the offload function in:
- Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage -> WhatsApp -> Offload App -> Reinstall App
Fact: This has been confirmed as a temporary fix. Auto-backup will work once after the reinstall, but it will get stuck preparing the second time.
2. Cycle WhatsApp iCloud Permissions
The next option, requires you to disable and re-enable WhatsApp permission to use your iCloud for backups:
- 1. In WhatsApp, open Settings -> Chats -> Chat Backup
- 2. Return to iPhone Home Screen and go for Settings -> Apple ID -> iCloud -> Shows All (Apps Using iCloud). Go to WhatsApp and turn Off the iCloud Access.
- 3. Return to WhatsApp: ‘Sign in to iCloud to back up your history. Tap here for instructions.’ should be displayed in the Chat Backup screen.
- 4. Return to iCloud Settings and turn WhatsApp iCloud access back ON.
- 5. Return to WhatsApp Chat Backup screen and tap Back Up Now! Does it work?
Credits: This troubleshooting sequence has been recommended by sfksuperman.
Have you managed to fix WhatsApp backup not working on iPhone? Do you have a better solution or other problems to report? Share your feedback in the comments.
Related: Do you know that you can WhatsApp message yourself? Here is how to!